The Inventions of Hugo Cabret (Misleadings)

I recently read The Inventions of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. It is about a kid name Hugo Cabret who lives in a subway apartment. Hugo has had many things happen to him from his dad dying to living with his uncle who dies and now lives in the subway by himself. Where he has been being accused of stealing parts from the subway toy shop. The store manager caught him stealing parts for a machine him and his father used to work on together. Now he has to work off all the money he stole. Have you ever had to work of debt or just work? Why? Have you ever got caught stealing? What were you stealing? Why?

13 thoughts on “The Inventions of Hugo Cabret (Misleadings)

1. Michel, I love this book and have seen the movie many times. I can’t recall any debts I have had but my sister is always asking for money. Has that ever happened to you? She says she will pay it off in her next allowance but the demands her full allowance. I often steal food in my kitchen when my parents are not around because we have so many sweets. Have you ever been caught stealing something from around the house? Have you ever read Wonderstruck? It is a great book by the same author. If you already have what do you think of it and why?

2. This is one of my favorite books, and the movie is great too! I have never had to work of a debt, but I am always stealing food from the fridge (or my sister’s plate), and shouldn’t be in the kitchen unsupervised! I have read Wonderstruck, which is also an amazing book.

In The Invention of Hugo Cabret and Wonderstruck, part of the story is told in pictures. Have you ever read another chapter book like that? If so, what was the book, and what did you like/dislike about it?

3. Yes whenever I go to a store with my brother he might sometimes ask for money. I have got caught stealing money from my parents occasionally. I have read “Wonderstruck” and thought that it was so amazing I couldn’t put it down because I love that it is half pictures and half words because I’m not someone who doesn’t like to read so much words. But I’ve only read “Wonderstruck” and “The Inventions of Hugo Cabret” that has half pictures and half words.

Have you ever read a book so good you couldn’t put it down? If so what was it? Why?

4. I have read a book that I could not put down. It was called “The Hunger Games” and I read and it from 6:00pm to 11:00pm straight, not stopping until I finished. The same thing happened when I read the sequel, “Catching Fire.”

“The Invention of Hugo Cabret” takes place in France. Have you ever read another book that takes place in a foreign country? What was the book? What did you like or dislike about it?

5. I am reading a book called “Walk Two Moons.” I love it. I could not put it down when I started it. I have not read a book with word and pictures telling a story together. Have you read a story with two stories at once? I have read many stories like that. I have also read lots of book in foreign country but I have not read lots of book in Massachusetts. Have you? if so what was it called? Did you like it?

6. I’ve read some books that are foreign but I can’t remember any of them. I sort have read two stories at once but they were just the same story but in different perspective’s. Like “The Candymakers” which was an amazing story about kids experience in an candy making contest. Have you ever read a book about different kids experiences? If so what was it called? Why did you like it or not like it?

7. I have read books about different kids experiences, such as “The Lost Hero” and “The Mark of Athena” which are both incredible follow-up books to the “Percy Jackson and the Olympians” series. I have probably read a book that takes place in Massachusetts, but I can’t remember it now. I have not read “The Candymakers” but I hear it is a great book.

Have you noticed how some books become a fad? Both “The Candymakers” and “The Mark of Athena” spread across our grade fast, and almost everyone read them. Have you noticed other books that did that? Did you read the books when the rest of the grade did?

8. I love “The Candymakers” and I think you would too, Kaelan. “Because Of Mr. Terup” (sorry I don;t know how to spell his name) is told by lots of different kids and their perspective. “The View From Saturday” is also told like that. Have you read either of these books? If so did you like it? What do you think of all the different perspectives? “The Hunger Games” was another book that went around our grade. I did not read it went it went around but after. I have not read “The Mark of Athena ” and I read “The Candymakers” before it went around.

9. I have not read “The View From Saturday” or “Because of Mr. Terupt” but I hear that the latter (Mr Terupt) is a magnificent book. What is “The View From Saturday” about? Would you recommend it?

Another book about different kid’s experiences is “The Homework Machine.” It is a very short but very comedic book about four kids with very opposite personalities who begin to bond when they all start using a machine that does their homework for them. The cleverly written story is told in a typed police report, as each character relays their information about the machine while pleading that they won’t be arrested. Have you read this book? Did you like or dislike it? Why?

10. I’ve read “Because of Mr. Terupt” and thought it was amazing because it was so cool how the author switched perspectives. And no i did not read “The View From Saturday” but I heard it was about a math league team that figures the questions by remembering stuff from their memory. I haven’t read “The Homework Machine” but I heard its good. I’ve been reading “The Lost Hero” which is the first book in the series which includes “The Mark of Athena” and i love how the kids react to different things that happen to them.

Did you ever read “The Lost Hero”? If so did you like it? Why? If you haven’t have you ever read a book about Greek myths? If so what was it called? Did you like it? Why or why not? Would you recommend it?

11. I actually did not like “Because of Mr. Terupt.” I can not remember what “The View From Saturday” was like, sorry. Many people have recommend “The Homework Machine” to me but I have never read it. Should I and why or why not? I have read most of Rick Riordan book series about demigods. The last book I read by him was “The Son Of Neptune.” I want to read all the series again I the right order and maybe I will like them again. I think I read “The Lost Hero” and liked it very much. I just finished reading “The Fire Chronicle.” It is a very, absolutely, amazingly, super good book. I would recommend read the first book first. H ave you read “The Emerald Atlas?” What did you think of it? Did you like it? Why or why not?

12. I really want to start “The Emerald Atlas” because so many people have recommended it to me and seems pretty cool. And also I haven’t read “The Homework Machine” but I heard it’s pretty good.

Is “The Emerald Atlas” and “The Fire Chronicle” good to start to read? Why or why not? Would you recommend reading the books in order? Why or why not?

13. “The Fire Chronicle” is really very good. I don’t want to give to much away if you haven’t read “The Emerald Atlas” but I think both you and Kaelan would like both books a lot. Definitely think that you should read the book in order. In the first book anthers might introduce character that are important in the next book. this happens in “The Emerald Atlas”. Why have you not read “The Emerald Atlas”, Michel? I want to read “Wonder”. Maisie keeps recommending it to me. Have you rad it? Did you like it? Why or why not? Are there any other books you really want to read but haven’t?